Thursday, September 22, 2011

Back to School Open Houses...Opens Creativity and Productivity at Home

Corey and I attended "Parents Only" Open Houses- two nights in a row...one for K's pre-k and one for J's first grade class.  As a former teacher, I completely understand the reasoning for having just the parents. As a mom of three...I grumble at having to find a sitter two nights in a row at the "witching hour" (6:00 p.m.) in our house. 
However, after attending both, it made me come to a wonderful conclusion; back to school nights inspire parents (or at least, this parent) to get more creative in our everyday learning and routines. Walking around the school, without having to corral the kidlets, gave me an opporunity to focus on the awesome projects and behavior models used in school.  I am inspired to use more charts and positive reinforcement and also to remind my kidlets that they need to behave at home the same way they do at school.  It makes everyone's day and night run smoother that way. 
J and K both love their school environment, and as much as I have tried to stay on task as a teacher to them, it's easy to get caught up in the everyday craziness of just running our household.  I have decided that on our autumn equinox, that would be tomorrow...ahem...we will begin a daily project or lesson.  Throwing myself back in to "teacher mode" will be a great way to make our days more productive together, and by productive, I mean - making memories and laughing and learning together! 


J's "All About Me" design (the popsicle sticks are skis)

K's "About Me" project

No comments:

Post a Comment